Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cautiously Short

I exited my remaining index long positions this morning and entered some partial index short positions. While the upward correction could be over, I think this pattern needs more time to work itself over to the declining upper channel line so that the time of wave 4 is closer to that of wave 2. That doesn't have to be the case, but it would align this wave count with my cycle analysis.

So far during the last 3 1/2 weeks I have only been stopped out of one short stock position. I credit this accomplishment to using Marketclub's 3 week rule and some discretion. Using long index positions to hedge my short stock positions, I experienced only a modest drawdown while waiting for the resumption of the downtrend. When the opportunity presented itself along the way I took partial profits on short positions. I will be fully short the indexes once we get a clear signal that the downtrend is underway, which may take a few more days.

I don't expect this 5th wave thrust to last very long. There are too many cyclical and seasonal pressures building that should lead to another sharp rally in December and possibly into January. Unless I have a large cushion, I will probably exit any remaining short positions at the conclusion of this next leg down and look to re-enter after the new year as the year-end rally should be the largest since March 08.

One thing to keep in mind about 5th waves. The end usually comes unexpectedly. If you are not already short, or not comfortable with discretionary exits from short term positions, you should probably keep it light on the short side on this 5th wave as most trend following rules will have you give back all of your profits or leave you with a loss before you know what's happened in this market condition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the mkt analyses i've ever read anywhere anytime. Nuanced yet precise. It's a rare combination of understanding the subject matter & being able to write well. I'm envious.

Only one thing was missing: a warning about "failed 5th waves"

Anonymous said...

"I don't expect this 5th wave thrust to last very long."

When are you looking for the low ? I've been looking for the low in late Nov. Can't see how we continue to decline til late Nov unless this is a wave 1 of 5 on the way to that low.

Regards,
dave

Anonymous said...

Craig,

Why is DUG so far from its 10/10 high with USO making new lows ?? These ultra ETF's leave a lot to be desired IMO.

DUG's Oct 10th high was 86.50; today it closed @ 41.50.

USO's low on Oct 10 was 63.32; today USO's low is 49.31. (Realize that DUG may not based upon USO directly but used it for relative purposes)

On Oct 10th if you sold short USO, you would be profitable today; if you bought DUG you would be down 50% or more.

Regards,
dave

Anonymous said...

In the first post i meant to write
"One of the best mkt analyses i've ever read anywhere anytime."

Regards,
dave